Tony Rice 8 juin 1951 - 25 décembre 2020

décembre 2020 modifié dans Bluegrass & Cie

Au Revoir Monsieur Rice.....😥

Skip😥

Commentaires

• décembre 2020 modifié

-Iconic Bluegrass Guitarist Tony Rice Dies at Age 69-

‘Sometime during Christmas morning while making his coffee, our dear friend and guitar hero Tony Rice passed from this life and made his swift journey to his heavenly home,” friend and collaborator Ricky Skaggs said in a statement authorized by the family, including Rice’s wife, Pam, and their daughter, India.

Rice’s unique style, vast recording catalog, and wide-reaching collaborations were foundational to many pickers in his generation and those that came after.

Born in Virginia, Rice moved with his family to Los Angeles as a child and along with several musical family members was immersed in the bluegrass scene there. Soon the family was traveling and relocating frequently, and Rice, who started playing mandolin, switched to guitar. At a bluegrass festival in North Carolina, he met the Kentucky Colonels’ Clarence White, picking up stylistic tips from him and many other musicians he would meet early in his career, including David Grisman, and developing a virtuosic flatpicking style that folded jazz and other genres into the once-rigid confines of bluegrass.

Over his career, Rice brought his one-of-a-kind picking and singing to ensembles including J.D. Crowe & The New South, David Grisman Quintet, Tony Rice Unit, and the Bluegrass Album Band, and he became known for collaborations with Ricky Skaggs, Norman Blake, Béla Fleck, Peter Rowan, Chris Hillman, and his own brothers, Larry, Wyatt, and Ronnie.

Tony Rice at MerleFest 2012 (Photo By Amos Perrine)

Players and fans will point to different albums in Rice’s catalog as touchstones, but Manzanita, released by Tony Rice Unit in 1979, is considered by many his masterpiece. Backed by Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, Jerry Douglas, David Grisman, Darol Anger, and Todd Phillips, Rice marries traditional bluegrass and folk with his wide progressive lens, creating unforgettable versions of classic jam-circle songs like “Little Sadie” and “Blackberry Blossom” that fit perfectly alongside fresher numbers like Merle Travis’ “Nine Pound Hammer” and The Delmore Brothers’ “Blue Railroad Train.”

He won a Grammy award for Best Country Instrumental Performance in 1983 (for The New South’s “Fireball”), and a shelf-full of IBMA awards starting in 1990, when the awards began, and throughout that decade and into the next. He was inducted into the Bluegrass Hall of Fame in 2013.

Rice suffered several health setbacks over the past several decades that restricted his ability to play and perform. In the early 1990s he was diagnosed with dysphonia, a vocal cord condition that severely affect his voice and ability to sing. This decade, he contended with lateral epicondylitis (known as “tennis elbow”) and arthritis, which made playing guitar difficult and painful.

His last public performance on guitar was at during the IBMA’s awards show in 2013; later in the show, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I was there, covering the awards show for the local paper in host city Raleigh, North Carolina. Crouched with my laptop in the very back of the cavernous theater, I could barely see Rice, tall and lean, as he walked onstage after the presentation remarks from Bush and Rowan. His brown hair in the ponytail that had become his stylistic signature — always tidy and elegant in its way, but also a statement against bluegrass business as usual — he stood in the spotlight and accepted many minutes of standing ovation from the audience. And then he walked to the podium and spoke, his voice a hoarse rasp. He looked back on his career and was generous in his thanks, but then the speech took a turn no one was expecting.

He referenced two elephants in the room: His own voice struggles, and the fact that acclaimed singer Alison Krauss had recently pulled out of the awards show and a planned IBMA headlining performance because of similar struggles with dysphonia. “One day I woke up and decided to try a few things with my voice, to see if anything at all could happen, even just a little stepping stone toward restoration of the voice. … If my heavenly Father is willing right now I might be able to show you a little bit of what I’ve been working on.”

The crowd roared, and then went pin-drop silent. Rice gathered himself, softly hummed a note, then spoke. And when he did, his voice was back to its familiar baritone, astonishingly smooth, warm, and conveying all of the kindness for which he’d become known over his remarkable career.

“I want to be able to tell Alison that now I am speaking in my real voice. I figure if maybe I can keep this up, that one day again maybe I’ll be able to do what I have missed at times, for 19 years now, which is to express myself poetically through music.”

He spoke for more than five minutes, the audience rapt and, truly, every face in the crowd wet with tears, even as he spoke with wit and humor, which was punctuated by more standing ovations. He ended with this summation of his career and the worldview that made his music what it was and shaped so much of bluegrass and beyond today:

“I think it’s our duty as not only musicians but as participants in this music form that it be like any other music form in history. It’s been allowed to grow and flourish a little bit, but it’s our duty to allow bluegrass music to grow and flourish and at the same time retain the most important part of it. And that is the essence of the sound of real bluegrass music.”

Stacey Chandler - No Depression

Skip😥

• décembre 2020 modifié
    L'utilisateur et tout le contenu associé ont été supprimés.
  • Si vous ne l'avez pas encore lu.... il est encore temps .

Skip😥

• Et si vous l'avez lu, il est temps de le relire (chose que j'envisage dans les prochains jours et pour la 3ème fois)...

• Ben il est temps que je l'achète!!

• Par le plus grand des hasards, j'ai reçu hier le CD de l'album Rounder 044 de JD CROWE & The NEW SOUTH avec Tony Rice. Je l'avais commandé car il est mythique pour bien des amateurs de bluegrass et je m'en voulais un peu de pas l'avoir dans ma collection (mais je l'avais déjà entendu). J'aime beaucoup la voix de Tony Rice dans ce disque mais j'ai sans doute des difficultés à replacer cet album dans le contexte de l'époque. Le répertoire est pour moi vraiment peu intéressant et j'ai du mal à considérer ce disque comme important (j'ai le même sentiment vis-à-vis des disques du BLUEGRASS ALBUM BAND). Je préfère de beaucoup certains disques de Rice en solo ou avec son Unit et j'ai une affection particulière pour le disque des frères Rice.

• décembre 2020 modifié

Difficile de faire un choix parmi sa discographie .....

Depuis hier , j'écoute ça :

L'album complet .

Et puis ça aussi :

Skip.

• En passant par Tony Rice, je ne suis pas étonné qu'on retombe sur une video avec Bryn BRIGHT [dont l'ex (Billy BRIGHT qui a aussi joué avec Tony Rice) vient de sortir un album qui m'a bcp plu avec le groupe WOOD & WIRE].

• décembre 2020 modifié

Il y a sur FB et sur la Toile en général de nombreux hommages , d'anonymes ainsi que de ses pairs , il y a beaucoup à lire ...

J'aime beaucoup celui de Molly Tuttle

Et celui de Richard Hoover de Santa Cruz Guitars:

Skip.

• Ah, le mythique Rounder 044! J'ai réussi à l'acheter en vinyl à Henri Gorgues il y a quelques années à La Roche. Je l'avais en CD. Je pense que c'est surtout une question générationnelle. A sa sortie, le son de Rice, Douglas et Skaggs apportait une fraîcheur nouvelle et bienvenue. On sentait un renouveau salutaire dans la musique bluegrass. Old Home Place restera toujours cher à mon coeur et je ne me lassais pas de le jouer avec Bluegrass Deluxe.

• décembre 2020 modifié

Ah oui , acheté à sa sortie chez County Sales , je l'ai toujours! , Quel disque !!

Skip🧐

• Sam Bush :

"I met Tony when I was 18 and he was 19, within a week we were bandmates in the Bluegrass Alliance. I stumbled upon him picking guitar in a parking lot in Camp Springs, NC. Whether it was innocence or arrogance I asked him to join the band I had only been in for a month. Didn’t understand (then) I maybe shouldn’t have or didn’t have that power, yet Tony was so good he got the job. We grew up a lot playing music together. Tony named my mandolin “Ol Hoss”. He often said his guitar and Hoss were a perfect match, “meant to be played together”. I’ll always cherish my memories, our music and the many happy occasions we had together.

I miss you brother. Peace to you,

Sam"

Voilà !

• Peut-être pas question égos, mais musicalement, sans aucun doute!

• On est d'accord !

• L'utilisateur et tout le contenu associé ont été supprimés.
  • Mille excuses, mais qu'est-ce qui serait affligeant?

• Dans le courant du post "Tony", les simples adjectifs "inoui ou affligeant ?" n'indiquaient en rien l'année 2020, donc question... Maintenant, on est le premier de l'an et je dirais "inoui et encore plus affligeant que d'habitude", mais ça n'engage que moi. Quant à "mille excuses", tu sais bien qu'il s'agit d'une simple formule de politesse. mais ça ne fait pas de mal non plus de mettre un peu de liant dans les échanges par internet. Je vois par exemple que tu t'es considérablement mépris sur la phrase provocatrice (comme à son habitude) de coyotegrass, alias Dominique Fosse, du "Cri du coyote" et honorable (?) juré du festival de La Roche, quand il déclarait : "Ben oui, faut les pendre, mais ça va faire du boulot..." ou quelque chose comme ça. On n'a pas tous les indicateurs non verbaux d'une conversation en vrai, et on a tendance à s'emballer (moi compris, j'ai beaucoup donné par le passé) sur un forum. Ces quelques premières pensées de 2021 en espérant que la suite nous permettra de faire connaissance en vrai pour ceux qui ne se connaissent pas déjà, et de se retrouver pour les autres.

• janvier 2021 modifié
    L'utilisateur et tout le contenu associé ont été supprimés.
  • Oulala... ca devient ésotérique! J'avoue ne plus comprendre les allusions, les quiproquos, les attaques-défenses..........Pour ma part, je revendique de la simplicité et de l'humour, nom de nom! Il fut un temps où l'on nous traitait de redneck , nous les gratteurs de musique de cow boy, ... et il n'a pas toujours été aisé pour nous de pouvoir partager la scène avec d'autres musiciens, hormis l'époque dorée du bluegrass des eighties en France. L'évolution même de la musique que nous chérissons montre bien qu'elle développe beaucoup de choses hors l'étroitesse d'esprit - isn'it Tony? Alors, restons humbles et respectueux des positions des uns et des autres et pourquoi ne pas se contenter d'apporter notre modeste contribution à la découverte ou redécouverte d'albums ou d'artistes de la mouvance. Quant à l'humour, j'avoue avoir un faible pour les piques pince sans rire de Coyotte ou de Skip... Après tout, ce n'est que de la musique , voire qu'une petite partie de la création musicale!

Pensées du début de 2021. Keep on picking et à bientôt.

PS : Grassmat : Aurais-tu par hasard un enregistrement "d'old home place "par BG de luxe. C'était aussi un des morceaux favoris d'Amazing Grass à l'époque - le mien aussi- et ca serait sympa de voir comment vous le traitiez! tu peux me faire parvenir ça par MP si cela existe et si tu le veux bien. Merci d'avance

• janvier 2021 modifié

Phil57, je vais chercher dans les enregistrements de répètes que j'ai encore en ma possession, sans garantie que je trouve une version assez propre... Pour les MP., il me semble que ce forum ne permet plus cette fonctionnalité. On verra quand et si j'ai trouvé un mp3 potable.

• Uniquement en audio , mais ça vaut le coup !

Skip.

• Hasard du calendrier.. le 18 décembre 2020 Billy Strings et son band reprenait un instrumental très "Ricien". je vous laisse comparer les versions.

Connectez-vous ou Inscrivez-vous pour répondre.